about shop contact sponosr home

Friday, July 20, 2012

What I Wore: Felt Bow Tie


 
 

I'm all about shorts this year, which is a tad strange because I haven't worn shorts a lot in the past 8-10 years. I think it stems from the embarrassment I received from faculty in high school. I don't know if it's apparent from photos, or if I've ever mentioned my height on here, but I'm fairly tall. I'm 5'9", and have been pretty much since 8th grade. 

Which means that shorts can look ...well, pretty dang short on me. It doesn't help that inseams keep getting smaller--I mean I've seen shorts boast about their "micro inseam" before! [these are not shorts I purchase, but are pretty hilarious to try on]

Anyway, so back when I was in high school faculty would frequently call me to the front of the class, or stop me in the hall, so that I could do the finger test. This test was how they determined if girls were wearing shorts, skirts, or dresses that were an inappropriate length for school. What you would do was place both arms straight down, and if the bottom of your garment was shorter than your pinky finger, you had to be sent home to change, or receive a demerit that could result in further disciplinary action if you were a repeat offender.

 Luckily for me, I always passed the test, but the constant questioning of if I was dressed inappropriately or not made me feel ashamed of how I looked in shorts.
So for the most part, I just stopped wearing them altogether. But this year it's all about being proud of my body and wearing what I want---legs, meet the world!

Outfit Details
Top: Thrifted
Shorts [w/belt]: Target
Shoes: DSW
Bow Tie: Handmade and in my shop
Ring: Bead Trade show

 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I ALMOST bought those shorts the other day. They look super cute on you. I get how you feel about shorts, I always look like my shorts are too short, even when theyre not, because my legs are like 80% of my body (okay not really, you get it, though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beca!
      I get it about the legs, I'm all legs and torso myself.

      Delete
  2. Oh you! There's no way those shorts would pass the pinky test now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, they do. My pinky hits before the end of the shorts. Good thing you're not a betting woman!

      Delete
  3. gawd! i love everything about this outfit! so adorable!
    newest follower, found you through the hop!
    nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so cute! Loving your photos & blog! Xo
    megthecoolgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...